Vettu Cake/Biscuit Cake is a famous South Indian tea time snack. It is found in many tea stalls in Kerala. Monsoon season is the best time to have it with tea. It is rare to find it in North India. This is a perfect snack when you are craving for something sweet but do not want to have a dessert.
What is it made of
Vettu Cake is a deep fried bread which is first baked and then fried. It is made from all purpose flour and has additional flavours of cardamom and kesar. It is generally made with egg but has a vegetarian alternative as well.The best part about this cake is it’s crisp. All other cakes we bake are soft and spongy. This is a deep fried cake which is deep fried so is crispy. It goes very well with tea.
Eggless Vettu Cake
I have made this recipe without using egg. The traditional recipe has egg as the key ingredient. Although the taste is same as that of the authentic recipe. It is very easy to make and very delicious.Do give this recipe a try and share your views in the comment section.
Biscuit Cake /Vettu Cake
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 2 pinch Kesar Food Colour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- 2 Cup All Purpose Flour/Maida
- 1 tbsp Sooji/Rava
- Oil for frying
- Take a bowl and add hot milk,Sugar,Cardamom Powder,Ghee,Kesar Food color and mix well.
- Now add baking powder,Salt and mix well.
- After mixing all these ingredients well ,add the all purpose flour/maida.
- Make sure to add the maida in batches.
- Now add the Sooji/Rava.
- Make a soft dough of this mixture.
- Coat the dough with oil and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Check the dough after 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 2 parts.
- Roll out the dough flat.
- To make it look clean cut the edges.
- Cut it into small pieces of 1.5 inch each.
- Make small cuts in the middle of each piece.
- Bake at 180 degree celsius preheated oven for 20 mins.
- Now take a pan and heat oil for frying.
- Add all the pieces into medium hot oil.
- Fry on low flame till they turn golden.
- Make sure they are cooked from all sides.
- Biscuit Ckae/Vettu is ready to be served.